
Well, my son Daniel finally set up the webcam Deb and I sent him around Valentine's Day. Since he lives in Albuquerque (stationed at Kirtland AFB) and we can't see each other as often as we'd like, we thought it would be neat to talk with him through Skype Video. Although we talk often on the phone, tonight was the first time we have seen his face since he came to visit for Christmas back in 2005. However, his future stepson Dylan (and his mowhawk), was the star of the call--What a ham! After working out some of the bugs and tweaking a few things, we were finally able to talk to Daniel, Lindsey, and Dylan. It was almost like being in the same room with them. Pretty cool technology!
I use Skype in my classroom and have talked with many different classrooms around the world. It's a great way to enhance lessons for any subject and the great thing about it is it's so easy and, it's free!
Here's an author/illustrator my class had the chance to converse and draw with!
http://langwitches.org/blog/2009/02/12/skyping-in-mike-artell-illustrator-author/
.jpg)
John, I'm so very pleased that you and Deb were able to finally connect with Daniel via Skype. Phone conversations are great, but they don't necessarily allow you to read emotions, and sometimes you just need to see your children face-to-face, especially when they live far away. I also love the fact that you can do group conversations to include everyone in the room.
ReplyDeleteOur little elementary school is fairly progressive in terms of technology. Some classrooms are equipped with Skype, and we are all able to have access to pod casting and video conferencing. If your school has video conferencing capabilities, we should set up a time to connect this fall!
John-
ReplyDeleteSkype is such a great way to communicate. I will have to keep that in mind as my husband and I move with in the next few years. I had never thought of using Skype in the classroom. I am curious what kinds of lessons you incorporate it into and who you are talking with.
I hadn't thought of the educational opportunities Skype might provide, but now I can imagine not only connecting with other classrooms but with experts in a particular field of study, perhaps on location someplace--such as an archaeologist or field botanist. The possibilites are endless.
ReplyDeleteHi Ladies, We consistently talk with a classroom in North Carolina, usually doing science and social studies things, comparing and contrasting weather, climate, school, population, likes/dislikes, things like that.
ReplyDeleteOne day I was teaching about northern and southern hemispheres and we were able to connect with a teacher in New Zealand! The kids were amazed that the seasons were the opposite.
We also did a reading story which had some Spanish words in it, obviously sparking the curious of many, so I got a hold of a teacher in Arizona. Her sixth grade class full of Spanish speaking students, took turns with each one of my kids and would translate a word given in English. It was very cool!
Check out the link if you didn't get a chance--we did sort of a virtual field trip with an author/illustrator.